Travel: Escape to Sea Island, GA
Posted: Aug 05 2014
August is here, but summer isn't over yet! There's still plenty of time to sneak in a fun escape. First stop on our list this month is Sea Island. We've polled the insiders, and here's what we're suggesting for your weekend (or maybe you should make it a full week) jaunt to Georgia...
1. Pack: Grab your embellished garb and colorful accessories. The more vibrant the colors, the better
2. Eats: May we suggest...
- Carry out BBQ from Southern Soul (don't forget the fried green beans). This is our #1 pick for a group dinner after a long beach day
- Fried chicken at the Oak Room, which overlooks the golf course. Grab s'mores at the Lodge afterwards
- Dinner at Bennie's Red Barn. Leave room for the "raccoon" for dessert
3. Explore: You won't want to miss a thing.
- Rent a kayak and head up the marsh to sneak a peek at the houses
- Take a day trip to Cumberland Island to see the wild horses and the Carnegie Estate (also, this is the spot where JFK Jr. was married!)
4. Things to do: There's more to do than just sit on the beach.
- Go skeet shooting on the marsh
- Grab your friends and hit the tennis courts (& grab smoothies from the Spa afterwards)
- Play Cloister Bingo! (not just for the old folks)
- Head to Zigi's to dance the night away to 90s hits. Always a favorite.